Support Creativity in York
A young sociable man requires a talented support worker to join the team
Here is what it takes…
You will be working with a 22-year-old man with a diagnosis of autism, schizophrenia, epilepsy and OCD who requires 24-hour care.
The gentleman is sociable and highly creative. He enjoys lots of activities such as walking, swimming, cycling and getting out and about in the woods and countryside so enjoying these would be advantageous. The gentleman is also interested in trucks and trains, relaxing in the jacuzzi and visiting amusement arcades. He is very technically minded and enjoys his computer and making movies. Creativity is a major focus as he loves to make 3D Models from paper.
You will work as part of a team within the family home and in the community to encourage participation in activities as well helping to develop skills and increase independence. As well as a full activity timetable, you will be supporting him to complete his normal daily living tasks.
There are times when there will be challenging behaviour to manage, protocols are in place to manage this and you may be required to use de-escalation and physical intervention techniques. Training will be provided for this.
As part of this role, you will be required to record daily notes and be part of planning, implementing and evaluating support plans. You will also be required to administer and monitor medication and side effects in line with safe practice.
You will also be required to develop and implement social stories to help reduce anxieties.
This post is subject to DBS check and satisfactory references.
You will need to be:
- Compassionate and caring ideally with experience of working with someone with autism and mental health problems
- Firm in your approach and maintain consistency in your work, this could be with the gentleman, his family and external professionals as well as the rest of your team
- Capable of communicating effectively with the gentleman, his family, your team and professionals also involved in this care package
- Physically fit enough to participate in the activities listed above and to manage challenging behaviour with physical intervention where necessary
- Vigilant and be able to respond to mood changes
- Confident and calm to deal with challenging behaviour
- Positive to encourage the gentleman to participate in activities and implement a positive behaviour plan.
- Flexible to respond to client needs
- Punctual, reliable, trustworthy and honest
- A current driving licence would be an advantage, however, is not a requirement
Working Hours and Rewards
Temporary weekend shifts for 2 months (with the possibility of this being extended on a permanent basis depending on need and funding);
Fridays 8 pm – Saturday 8 am, Saturdays 8 am – 11 pm, 11 pm – Sunday 8 am (sleep-over)
Sundays 8 am – 11 pm, 11 pm – Monday 8 am (sleep-over)
Pay: £12.50 per hour sleep-over 11 pm-8 am £68 plus weekend enhancement
Holidays: 5.6 weeks per year pro rata
To Apply for this post
Please consider the Job Description and send your CV and covering letter stating why you are suitable for this post to email@example.com (please include a telephone number for us to contact you on if you are shortlisted for interview)
Closing date: 5 pm Friday, February 2nd, 2018
Interviews: Monday, February 5th, 2018
If you have not been contacted by Monday, February 5th, 2018, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.